The market for on-demand food delivery services is growing rapidly. Whether you want to order food or become a courier, two of the most popular options are Uber Eats and Postmates.
Uber Eats focuses on food delivery and has a presence in more than 45 countries. On the other hand, Postmates goes beyond food as it also delivers personal goods. It is only available in the United States, with a diverse coverage of over 4,200 cities. In December 2020, Postmates became a part of Uber.
If you’re interested in becoming a courier for Uber Eats or Postmates, consider the pay. Uber Eats couriers earn an average of $16 per hour. Postmates couriers also earn an average of $16 per hour.
Read on to learn more about Uber Eats vs Postmates. We’ll help you decide which one is better for customers and couriers.
Uber Eats vs Postmates
Can’t decide what to choose between Postmates vs Uber Eats? Whether you are a customer or courier, these differences will help you decide which one is better:
|Services Offered||Restaurant, Grocery, Alcohol||Restaurant, Grocery, Alcohol, Pharmacy, Personal Goods|
|Delivery Fees||Often less than $6||Often $1 to 10|
|Delivery Methods||By car, scooter, bike, and foot||By car, scooter, bike, and foot|
|Subscription Plan||Eats Pass is available at $9.99 per month. The first month is free. Comes with $0 delivery on eligible restaurants and 5% off on a minimum order of $15 at partner restaurants.||Postmates Unlimited is available at $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. $0 delivery on orders above $12.|
|Earnings||$12 to $20 per hour ||$12 to $20 per hour |
|Tips||100% goes to the courier||100% goes to the courier|
|Availability||Over 45 countries and 6,000 cities||More than 4,200 cities in the United States|
While both focus on food delivery, they also have add-ons on their services to reach a bigger market share. You can order grocery items, prescription medicines, and alcohol, among others, from both apps.
The main advantage of Postmates, however, is that they deliver more. They will deliver even personal goods, such as a vacuum cleaner or mobile phone. You can even select from non-partner restaurants.
To keep up with the competition, food delivery services are competing on price. Most people will choose a company offering cheaper delivery fees without compromising the service. The delivery fee of Uber Eats is usually less than $6. On the other hand, Postmates delivery can range from $1 to $10.
It’s hard to pick between the two service providers since their fees are almost the same. The specific amount will depend on the location, distance, and restaurant, among other things.
Both Uber Eats and Postmates go beyond cars when it comes to the available delivery methods. The delivery methods include a scooter, bike, and foot. For drivers, having no car isn’t an excuse not to take advantage of food deliveries’ income opportunities.
Uber Eats has a subscription plan called Eats Pass, free in the first month and costs $9.99 thereafter. Aside from the $0 delivery charge on eligible establishments, you will also get 5% off on orders more than $15 at partner restaurants. You can opt to cancel your membership anytime without any penalty.
Meanwhile, with Postmates Unlimited, you can enjoy numerous perks for only $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year. In turn, delivery is free for all orders of more than $12. With only two orders per month, you can already cover the cost of your membership. You can enjoy annual savings of up to $185.
Winner: Uber Eats
Postmates and Uber Eats have apps for both customers and couriers. They are both user-friendly. However, Uber Eats has more downloads and higher ratings, which means that more people are happier. Postmates are more prone to bugs, which can negatively impact the overall user experience.
Winner: Uber Eats
Being a courier at Uber Eats or Postmates is promising in terms of your potential income. They have almost similar pay structures. On average, you can expect to earn $12 to $20 per hour. The specific amount will differ on the location, bonuses, promotions, and other things. You will earn more in some cities, especially those with a high cost of living.
As a courier for the two companies, you can earn more by taking advantage of the incentives, promos, and bonuses. You will also earn from the tips.
For Uber Eats, four main elements make up the pay for the courier – order pick-up, order drop-off, mileage, and tips. Uber will take a commission of 25 to 35% except for tips.
For Postmates, the same factors are crucial in computing delivery fees. However, the fee will vary depending on if the establishment is a partner or not. The delivery fee for non-partners is often higher.
To earn more as a courier, consider working during rush hour. The demand is high, and people are willing to pay more. Take advantage of referral bonuses as well and other incentives.
As a courier for both Postmates and Uber Eats, you will earn from the tips. The good news is that you get to keep 100% of the tips for the two companies. So, strive hard to be on time and deliver exceptional service to make your customers happy. The happier they are, the more they will tip. In turn, you will earn more.
Uber Eats is available in the following:
- The United States,
- The United Kingdom,
- New Zealand,
- South Africa,
- The Dominican Republic,
- Ireland, and
- Ecuador, among others.
You can find it in more than 45 countries and over 6,000 cities around the world.
On the other hand, Postmates is only available in the United States. You can use it in more than 4,200 cities around the country.
Winner: Uber Eats
About Uber Eats
Uber is one of the most reliable and popular ride-hailing services in the world. They introduced different services to expand their business, including Uber Eats. You can order food from your favorite local restaurants through a website or mobile app. It functions as the middleman between the restaurant and the customer:
How to Order Using Uber Eats
Here are the steps for using Uber Eats when placing an order:
- Sign in on your account and input the delivery address.
- Pick from the list of the merchants available.
- Use the search function to look for specific restaurants, food items, or cuisines.
- You can also order for a group. Click Start Group Order, copy the link, and share it with your friends.
- Select the items that you like to order and click Add to Cart.
- Choose View Cart to review your order.
- Click Place Your Order.
- You also have the option to set delivery at a later time. Choose Schedule for Later or Schedule an Order and input the delivery schedule that you desire.
- See the app or website to monitor the delivery status.
Courier Requirements for Uber Eats
Below are some of the most important requirements if you want to be an Uber Eats driver:
- Meet the minimum driving age in your city.
- Must have a license and at least a year of driving experience—a minimum of three years of driving experience for those below 23 years old.
- Must have a two or four-door car or under 50cc motorized scooter
- Pass a driver screening test and background check.
How to Become a Courier for Uber Eats
Registering as an Uber Eats driver is quick. Follow these steps and start earning as a courier:
- Download the Uber app or visit their website.
- Enter the city where you would like to drive in. If you have a sign-up code, include it in the form.
- You will see a prompt of the available delivery methods in your area. Choose by car, bicycle, foot, or scooter.
- See the checklist of the requirements to complete your application. Submit the necessary documents, such as driver’s license, profile photo, and insurance.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and wait for an email notifying the status of your application.
Again, what is the difference between Uber Eats and Postmates? Uber Eats focuses on food delivery and is in more than 45 countries. Postmates delivers food and personal goods. It is only available in the United States, with a diverse coverage of over 4,200 cities. In December 2020, Postmates became a part of Uber.
Next, let’s look closer at Postmates.
Like Uber Eats, Postmates is also a food delivery service founded in 2011 in San Francisco. They are transforming the movement of goods in the United States by offering an innovative platform. Postmates delivers not just food but also groceries and personal goods, making it convenient:
How to Order Using Postmates
Once you already have the app on your phone, follow these steps for ordering:
- Open the app and choose from the selection of deliveries in your area.
- There is a Party option, which allows you to order from restaurants that are currently popular. Within a specified time, you can join the order of others and save on fees.
- Use the search bar function on the top-right portion of the app if you want to look for anything specific.
- Tap the Settings icon in the top-left portion of the screen to change account details. You can change the address and payment methods, among other things.
- Confirm your order and track the status of the delivery.
Courier Requirements for Postmates
Here are the pre-requisites for becoming a Postmates driver or courier:
- Meet the minimum driving age in your location.
- A valid social security number for completing a thorough background check.
- Must have valid car insurance.
How to Become a Courier for Postmates
If you want to earn money through Postmates as a driver, here’s a quick registration guide:
- Go to the Fleet mobile app or visit their website.
- Start by creating an account using a valid email address and provide a password.
- Provide the necessary personal information, such as name, address, and contact details.
- Authorize Postmates to conduct a background check. Make sure to provide your social security number and birthday.
- Upload a profile photo and complete the other requirements. Wait for the result of your application.
Uber’s Acquisition of Postmates
While Uber Eats and Postmates exist as separate consumer-facing food delivery apps, they are now operating under Uber. The combination of the two platforms will provide more choices and convenience to customers. On the other hand, couriers will have better income opportunities.
The $2.65-billion acquisition was an all-stock deal. It happened after the failure of Uber to acquire Grubhub, another main competitor in North America. It came at the right time when Uber was suffering from huge losses because of the pandemic. With higher demands for food delivery these days, Uber expects that this acquisition will improve its profitability.
Nonetheless, even with Uber’s acquisition of Postmates, it still won’t have the lion’s share of the market. According to recent estimates, DoorDash still leads the food delivery market. It has an overall market share of 45%. However, Uber anticipates that its share will rise to 37% from 29%.
However, others view the consolidation of the two companies as a survival mode. It is questionable if it will benefit the customers. While this equates to the merger of two major forces, it also reduces the competition. As a result, customers and drivers might have to suffer.
Conclusion – Postmates vs Uber Eats
Uber Eats is focused on food delivery and has a presence in more than 45 countries. Meanwhile, Postmates also delivers personal goods aside from food. However, it is only available in the United States, with a diverse coverage of over 4,200 cities. In December 2020, Postmates became a part of Uber.
If you are a hard time deciding between Uber Eats or Postmates, here is a quick summary of their similarities and differences:
- Services: They both focus on food delivery, but they also offer other items, including medicines and groceries. Postmates has the advantage as it delivers almost everything, except for controlled items.
- Delivery Methods: Both food delivery services can deliver by car, scooter, bike, or foot.
- Delivery Fee: Both are offering affordable delivery fees depending on your location and a specific restaurant. The delivery charge ranges from $1 to $8.
- Subscription Plans: The two companies both have their monthly subscription plans. We found Uber Eats’ subscription to be better.
- App Experience: Uber Eats has a more seamless and functional app. The Postmates app is prone to bugs.
- Earnings: On average, the earning range $12 to $20 per month on Postmates and Uber Eats. The specific earnings differ depending on your location, among other things.
- Tips: If you are a courier for Uber Eats or Postmates, you get to keep 100% of the tips.
- Availability: Uber Eats has a more diverse coverage as it is available in many countries beyond the United States. Meanwhile, Postmates is available only in more than 4,200 U.S. cities.