If you lack pep in the morning, perhaps a piece of tasty and spicy jalapeno bacon can wake you up. It can become addictive if you have it cooked right. This article will discuss the jalapeno bacon recipe and cooking tips.
One tip that will make your jalapeno bacon more appetizing is softening the jalapenos before cooking. After cleaning them, just put them in partial boiling water for about 5 minutes. This parboil process will soften them, making it easier for you to eat them. It will not cook them and make them mushy, but it will make them crunchier.
Proper preparation of the jalapenos is also a key to a tasty jalapeno bacon dish. In cutting jalapenos, you need to cut them half lengthwise. This will expose the membranes where the seeds are. Scrape out this membrane and the seeds from the bottom to its top. This method will also work well with diced jalapeno.
Read on to get good jalapeno bacon cooking tips and great jalapeno bacon recipes that you can try and enjoy.
Jalapeno Bacon Recipe and Cooking Tips
Soften the Jalapenos
To cook better-tasting bacon with jalapenos, you should soften the jalapenos first before cooking them. You can place the jalapenos in a pan of partial boiling water for around 5 minutes.
You are not boiling them but are only softening them up so you can easily eat them. Doing this will also make the jalapenos crunchier.
Cut the Jalapenos Lengthwise
In preparing the jalapenos, first, cut them in half lengthwise. This will expose the membranes and the seeds. Scrape the membrane along with the seeds using a spoon. Work from the bottom of the jalapeno to its top. You can also do this if you want diced jalapenos.
Do Not Boil the Jalapenos
You should not boil your jalapenos fully before stuffing them with bacon. If you want them soft and crunchy, you only need to parboil them after removing their membranes and seeds.
Spices That Can Enhance the Jalapeno Bacon’s Taste
Your jalapeno bacon will also taste better if you add some spices. Several spices are best for enhancing the taste of your jalapeno bacon, including:
- Brazil nuts
- Pine nuts
Jalapenos Make Bacons Taste Better
Not as Hot as Real Hot Peppers
Jalapenos are not as hot as real hot peppers. Perhaps you can say that jalapenos can only give a small amount of sweet heat. So, they are great partners for crispy bacon. Today, it seems that more and more people are craving jalapeno bacon.
Add Brown Sugar or Cinnamon
The flavor will become even more special if you add some brown sugar to your bacon jalapenos. Adding cinnamon to the dish will also give it a little more oomph. It will make the jalapenos shine.
Creating this excellent-tasting treat is very simple. Those who will eat this dish will be super amazed by its amazing taste – especially those who are used to eating plain and simple bacon all their lives.
Wash Your Hands Before Preparation
Another great tip in making bacon jalapenos with brown sugar: don’t forget to wash your hands after preparing them. And never wipe your eyes with your hands when preparing these bacon jalapenos.
So, are you ready to get some recipes for sweet heat bacon jalapenos?
Jalapeno Bacon in Brown Sugar
You can finish cooking this simple jalapeno bacon in just 17 minutes. In this recipe, the sweet heat of the jalapenos is made even peppier with the addition of brown sugar:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon
- 1 to 2 medium-sized jalapenos, minced finely
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
How to Cook
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Get your baking sheet and line it up with foil. If you don’t have tin foil, you can use parchment paper instead.
- Arrange the slices of bacon on the baking sheet in one layer only.
- Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl. Get your jalapenos and dice them manually. Get the brown sugar and rub it in your bacon. Make sure both sides of the bacon are covered with sugar.
- Place the bacon jalapenos inside the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes. The actual length of time depends on how crunchy your bacon jalapenos are.
- After cooking, arrange the bacon jalapenos on parchment paper and allow them to drain and cool down. You can’t use paper towels because they will stick to them.
- Yield: Six Servings
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- Total Prep Time: 12 minutes
Ensure that you wash your hands thoroughly after preparing the jalapenos mixed with sugar mixture and rubbing it in the bacon. Most significantly, do not touch your eyes, noses, and other sensitive parts of your skin until you are sure that there are no more traces of jalapeno residues on your hands.
Fresh Jalapenos Stuffed
Here’s another bacon jalapeno recipe that can be your favorite appetizer if you want to eat fresh jalapenos. This recipe takes longer to prepare than the above recipe:
- One package of sliced smoked deli ham
- 12 fresh jalapenos
- 10 to 12 Borden’s Mozzarella string cheese individual servings
- One package of toothpicks. If you are cooking 12 jalapenos, you will need 24 toothpicks.
How to Cook
- Get a large saucepan and fill it halfway with water. Get the water to boil.
- Open the package of sliced, smoked deli ham—separate every slice. Fold the slices in half. You will use it to wrap the jalapenos. Set them all aside.
- Get ready for the toothpicks.
- Wear latex or vinyl gloves. You need them to handle the jalapenos to protect you against the strong substances of jalapenos. Don’t skip this step, or you will regret it. Some people have accidentally rubbed their skies while handling jalapenos, and they didn’t like it.
- Take a jalapeno and cut it in half lengthwise. Remove the membrane as well as the seeds.
- After cleaning all the 12 jalapenos, put them in boiling water for 5 minutes. You can use a kitchen timer to ensure that you won’t go over 5 minutes. This will only parboil the jalapenos and soften them up so they can be easier to eat. It will not cook them fully where they become mushy. You need them to be crunchy only. This parboiling process will also take some heat out of the jalapenos.
- After 5 minutes, drain the jalapeno halves and lay them on a flat surface. You can use a plastic cutting board for this.
- Cut several pieces of string cheese that will fit into every jalapeno half.
- Get the slices of ham and wrap them around each jalapeno half.
- Close the jalapeno bacon, each with a toothpick.
- Cook the jalapeno bacon by heating them in a microwave oven for 2 minutes before serving them or until their cheese begins to melt. You can also cook them inside a preheated oven at 400°F for 10 minutes. The jalapeno bacon will acquire a nice brown color around its edges when using the oven. You won’t get that color in a microwave.
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Again, should you boil your jalapeños before stuffing them? Parboil your jalapeños if you prefer soft jalapeños. Then, cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and stems. Removing the seeds makes room for the stuffing and makes the jalapeños less spicy.
Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
This party appetizer will make you dance with glee if you see it served on a plate. It is cheese creamy, spicy, and created with a slight twist from the ordinary. If you eat one flip, you are hooked. This dish takes only around 15 minutes to complete:
- Jalapeno peppers – small and medium (bite-sized)
- Bacon – can be oven-baked or air-fryer-baked
- Green onion – will add a mild flavor to the dish
- Cream cheese – this will give this dish a creamy taste. Use light cream cheese to create a healthy bacon jalapeno dish.
- Pepper jack cheese – this will lend a bit of heat to the dish. If you want it less spicy, use cheddar or Monterey jack instead.
- Panko breadcrumbs – this will provide a crispy and crunchy topping to your jalapeno bacon.
How to Cook
- Cook the bacon and then dice them into little pieces.
- Beat the cream cheese and mix it with all the ingredients.
- Prepare the jalapenos by cutting them in half lengthwise and removing their membranes and seeds.
- Put a reasonable amount of the mixture in each jalapeno. Use a small spoon to do this.
- Lay the jalapenos with their filling side up on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs on top of the jalapeno bacon.
- Lightly coat each of the jalapeno bacon with nonstick spray
- Bake the jalapeno bacon at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven when they are already tender and have turned brown.
- Serve them hot.
Additional Jalapeno Bacon Cooking Tips
Here are some more tips to ensure that your jalapeno bacon will always taste special:
1. Remove the Membrane and Seeds
Nearly all jalapenos are fairly mild once you have removed the membrane and the seeds. However, some jalapenos are hot. If you get them, take them as a good luck sign.
2. Wear Gloves
If you have sensitive skin, you should wear gloves when working with jalapenos.
3. Get the Same Sizes of Jalapenos
Try to get jalapenos of the same sizes. This way, they will cook at the same time.
When working with jalapenos, be careful not to touch your eyes. The oil from each pepper will stick to your fingers. If you accidentally touch your eyes with your fingers, you will feel the sting.
Other Cooking Methods for Jalapeno Bacon
There are many ways you can cook jalapeno bacon. You don’t need to follow the recipes strictly to the letter. You can adapt them according to your tastes. Here are some thoughts that you may want to consider in this regard:
If you want to grill your jalapeno poppers, begin by preheating your grill until it reaches medium heat. Then brush the grill grates with oil before laying the jalapeno bacon on them. Their cut sides should be up.
You can also use aluminum foil or a grilling mat to keep the bacon in place. This will ensure that your jalapenos won’t fall through the grates or the fillings will get loose—Grill the jalapeno bacon for 10 minutes.
If you want to use the air fryer for cooking your jalapeno bacon, prepare them as you will prepare them for baking in the oven. Then put them inside the air fryer. Set the temperature at 325°F and cook them from 15 to 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Their peppy taste and character have made many addicted to eating jalapeno bacon. You may still have some questions on how to cook them best. This section of this article will help you get your answers:
What Is Jalapeno Bacon?
Jalapeno bacon is a party appetizer that is very addictive, especially if they are crunchy and tasty. They are made with jalapeno pepper and slices of bacon. These appetizers are pretty simple to make and take only a few minutes to prepare and cook.
How Can You Soften a Jalapeno Pepper?
You can soften a jalapeno pepper by putting it into a pot of boiling water. It should only stay there for around 5 minutes. You are not cooking it but just parboiling it to make it softer than its original state.
How Can I Make My Jalapeno Bacon Crunchy?
The key to making jalapeno bacon crunchy is the partial boiling process. Take care that you don’t thoroughly cook the pepper when you dip it in boiling water. If it gets thoroughly cooked, it will be mushy on the bite. If you don’t want it mushy but crunchy, you need only partially boil it.
In Closing: Recipe and Cooking Tips for Jalapeno Bacon
An excellent tip to make your jalapeno bacon tastier is to soften them before cooking. After cleaning the jalapenos of their membrane and seeds, put them in a bowl of boiling water for around 5 minutes.
You will not be cooking them but are only softening them up so they will be easier to eat. This is called partial boiling. It will make your jalapeno bacon crunchier, which is what you would like your bacon to be.